Green MeMe # 1
Julie from Towards Sustainability has tagged me for the Meme.
1) Name two motivations for being green?
a. Green Living embraces much of the old fashioned wisdom that I feel we lost during the excesses of the 80s and 90s.
b) I want to raise my children with a respect for nature and the environment.
2) Name 2 eco-UNfriendly items you refuse to give up?
a. My Lap-top
b. My Vanilla latte on skim - although they tell me it is now sourced from Rainforest Alliance Certified farms - not really sure exactly what that is, but I guess it makes some people feel a little better.
3) Are you at peace with or do you feel guilty about number 2?
a. Often feel a certain amount of guilt about the lap top - well maybe guilt is too strong a word, but I know how much I can achieve around the place when it is not switched on! Guilt re the latte? Sorry, the addiction is far too strong to feel any guilt!
4) What are you willing to change but feel unable to/stuck with/unsure how to go about it?
I hate plastic packaging. I would love to be able to reduce the output in the garbage bin. We do try sometimes more than other times but there is always a tug of war between what is good for the hip pocket and what is good for the environment. Why is it always the way!!! I am guessing that this is a struggle for lots of families.
5) Do you know your carbon footprint for your home? If so, is it larger/smaller than your national average?
Our carbon foot print is less than the national average according to the calculator but I think there are a lot more steps that we can take to reduce it. The next thing on my list will be to install water tanks. If I had unlimited funds I would also add grid connected solar panels.
6) What's eco-frustrating and/or eco-fantastic about where you live?
The frustrating thing is that there is not a bike path between my small community and the next larger town. It is seven kilometres away and on the way there are many sporting and recreational facilities. It would be good to have a cycle way that would enable people to ride out to these spots.
The eco-fantastic thing about where I live is that we have a yard big enough to grow food, we are within walking distance from our small local butcher, post office, school and newsagent and we have a huge wide river nearby where we spend most of our recreational time.
7) Do you eat local/organic/vegetarian/forage/grow your own?
We grow our own and try and eat local. It is somewhat difficult though. There is a local farmers market here but it only operates once a month. We have just started getting eggs from friends and yesterday were able to give our first tomatoes. I am hoping there will be more bartering amongst us.
8) What do you personally find the most challenging in being green?
The same old question: budget vs environment.
9) Do you have a green confession?
OOOOHHHH I have millions of them! LOL The one that comes to mind is showering longer at the gym than I would at home!! (naughty I know! but the shower pressure is just so.....damn....good.....)
10) Do you have the support of family and/or friends?
For sure! My family had a meeting and decided together what we would include in our eco-challenge. I think many friends think I am a little eccentric but I see over time that they are starting to take a few positive steps themselves.
I tag Karen Libby and Sorcha
The Guidelines are:
1) Link to Green Meme Bloggers.
2) Link back to whoever tagged you.
3) Include meme number
4) Include these guidelines in your post
5) Answer questions
6) Tag 3 other green bloggers.